My name is Rudy and I’m a taco eater. Not a day goes by that I’m not thinking about different tacos for me to put into my mouth. I often over-stuff them so that corner of my hand between my thumb and pointer finger become a way station for fallen taco toppings.
This is a play on a shredded taco filling (deshebrada) incorporating both some of the same ingredients as well as adapting the (general) process’ of an original recipe. (In this case, a recipe that my Mom made for me and my brothers growing up – cept’ this is made with carrots).
Tacos: Zanahoria Deshebrada; Shredded Carrot
1 pound carrots (grated on the largest grate)
(About 5 Cups)
14.5 oz can of crushed tomatoes (preferably fire-roasted)
1/2 Cup Vegetable Broth
1 small onion, (sliced into thin strips)
1 jalapeno (seeded and minced)
1 TBS Canola Oil
2 TBS Tomato Paste (ketchup works too – although adds a bit of sweetness)
1 (heap) TBS Nutritional Yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
salt to taste
1. Cover Carrots in 7 Cups of water in a stock pot. Add 1 tsp of salt, stir and bring to a boil.
2. Lower heat to medium and cook carrots until ‘al dente’ – you want them to be soft but still have some bite to them. This will take anywhere from 5 – 8 minutes depending on heat variables.
3. Once they’re cooked. Drain in a colander. (Don’t Rinse)
4. Heat Oil in a Large Rimmed Saute pan or stock pot over medium high heat.
5. Add your onions and jalapeno and saute for 3 minutes – stirring intermittently.
6. Add your Carrots and stir to incorporate; Saute for a couple of minutes.
7. Add your broth, tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients; stir well and lower heat to low.
8. Cook until all of the liquid has evaporated. This could take up to 30 minutes.
8. Salt to taste.
1 (heap) cup Shredded (Purple or White or combination of the two) cabbage
2 TBS Grated Carrots
2 tsp Vegenaise
1 tsp Fresh Lime Juice
1 (heap) tsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste.
1. In a medium bowl add your cabbage, cover in lemon juice, vegenaise and nutritional yeast.
2. Using a spoon or fork lightly toss all of the ingredients to incorporate evenly.
3. Salt & Pepper to taste.