Most of what I make on a daily basis is a combination of (smaller) recipes that come together to make one over all (main) dish. The recipes themselves can be from my own catalog, swirling in my (crazy) brain at a given moment or an adaptation of a traditional recipe. Now, today’s recipe isn’t anywhere near traditional, rather it’s a combination of smaller (Mexican Inspired) recipes coming together to make something tasty!
In this case, it’s one of my favorite things to eat: The Tempeh Dog!
I don’t have a name for it, so let’s just call it:
My Favorite Tempeh Dog
1 8 oz package of Tempeh (poached as I do here)
4 Vegan Hot Dog Buns
Mashed Avocado (Avocado + Splash of Lemon + Salt)
Salsa Fresca (My Recipe Here – in this case I used cherry tomatoes)
White Bean Cotija (My Recipe Here)
Vegenaise (to slather on your bun, under your tempeh)
2 TBS of Water
2 TBS of Agave Nectar
1 TBS Soy Sauce
1 (heap) tsp of Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp of ketchup
1 tsp canola oil
1/4 tsp liquid smoke (or a splash of apple cider vinegar)
pinch black pepper
First things first. Blanch your tempeh according to the directions found HERE
1. Cut (cooled) blanched Tempeh into four uniform horizontal (long pieces)
2. Whisk all of the Marinade ingredients in a bowl until thoroughly mixed.
3. Lay your your Tempeh in a long square dish (I use a glass loaf pan) and cover with marinade.
4. Allow to marinate in the fridge for (at least) 1 hour, turning halfway through – the longer you marinate the better – obviously.
5. Heat oil in a 12 inch frying on Medium High Heat.
6. Sear Tempeh for a couple of minutes a side (or until lightly charred).
7. Slowly drizzle marinade over seared Tempeh (be careful it could splash up) and and 1 TBS of water – Using tongs, move tempeh around in the braise (careful not to break them).
8. Lower heat to low.
9. Lightly Dress hot dog buns with Vegenaise, Add your tempeh and top with mashed Avocado, Salsa Fresca and White Bean Cotija!