I’m gonna keep today’s intro mad simple. My name is Rudy and I love breakfast (something I’m sure I’ve mentioned before). I’m always looking for ways to have it outside of ‘normal business’ hours – this is one of those ways.
Today takes a dish I had quite a bit growing up (ejotes con huevo), makes it vegan and puts it into the loving embrace of a corn tortilla, tops it with mashed avocado and salsa fresca.
Ain’t Nothing wrong with that!
Quick Note: The Taco Filling itself makes a great breakfast main dish alongside some beans, avocado, salsa and tortillas. Just a thought!
Tacos: Ejotes Con Tofuevos: Green Bean Scramble
2 Cups (trimmed) Green Beans – Cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 Cup Diced Red Peppers
1/4 Cup Diced White Onion
1/2 Cup (Fresh) Tomatoes – Diced
1/2 jalapeno – minced (optional)
1/3 Cup Shredded Vegan Cheese (Optional)
1 package (16 oz) of firm tofu – drained
2 TBS Soy Sauce
1 TBS Vegenaise
1 TBS Almond Milk (or non-dairy milk)
1 Heaping TBS of Nutritional Yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric (for color)
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp paprika
pinch of cumin
salt to taste
1. Blanch your green beans in boiling (salted) water for 3 minutes; Drain.
2. Heat 1 TBS of Canola Oil in a rimmed saute pan add your onions and peppers and saute until tender (5 – 7 minutes).
3. Meanwhile – Break up (drained) tofu with your hands (in smallish pieces) into a medium sized mixing bowl.
4. Add the rest of your ingredients to the tofu (from soy sauce to cumin)
5. Using a rubber spatula incorporate all of the ingredients thoroughly.
6. Taste your tofu. Adjust your salt level – set aside.
7. Add tomatoes and (blanched) Green Beans to your pan. Add a pinch of salt. Saute for 2 minutes.
8. Add your jalapenos – stir to incorporate.
9. Add in your tofuevos mixture; stir ingredients evenly.
10. Cook your tofu until heated throughout – stirring intermittently (about 5 minutes).
11. If you’re using vegan cheese add it now and stir until melted throughout.
12. Salt (the whole mixture) to taste.
Serve on Warm tortillas with Mashed Avocado and Salsa Fresca.