If you don’t like Breakfast then you my friend are no friend of mine. How dare you. How double dog dare you not like the best meal of the day. Do you not like kittens either?
Okay, that was mean of me. You aight and I shouldn’t judge. But, you ain’t the bee knees. Do Bee’s even have knees? Do people even read recipe introductions?
Well, if you do love (errr like) Breakfast like me, then we tight like that night that Ice Cube had to wipe activator off the mic in 1985!
Though this recipe doesn’t fall in line with my ‘Vegan Mexican Food’ ethos (whatever that means) I feel like it’s something I need to share. It’s one of my favorite things to eat and it’s also pretty easy; Sure, it takes a bit of planning but with great power comes…
My Favorite Vegan Breakfast Sandwich
16 oz Extra Firm Tofu – Drained (Firm would work too – though it’ll be a little softer)
Your Favorite Vegan Cheese (Here’s Mine)
Vegenaise (Because, duh!)
Vegan English Muffin (or bread of some sort!)
Marinated Tempeh (Recipe to Follow)
Seasoned Tofu (Recipe to follow)
#1 Make Your Tempeh
Tempeh Marinade (whisked together):
2 TBS of Water
2 TBS of Agave Nectar
1 TBS Soy Sauce
1 (heap) tsp of Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp of ketchup
1 tsp canola oil
1/4 tsp liquid smoke (or a splash of apple cider vinegar)
Pinch black pepper
Canola Oil – for cooking Tempeh
1. First things first. Blanch your tempeh according to the directions found HERE
2. Cool your tempeh. (Meanwhile, scroll down and begin preparing your tofu)
How to Slice your Tempeh:
Cut evenly down the middle of the block of tempeh; its basically going to go from a long rectangle to two squares. From there, using a sharp knife (and y’know being mad careful) slice down through the middle – to create two flat pieces. You should end up with 4 thin(ner) squares.
3. Place your tempeh in a flat rimmed dish (preferably glass) and cover in marinade, making sure that each part of the tempeh slice touch the marinade.
4. Marinade for at least 1 hour or up to over night. Turn tempeh a few times here and there.
5. Heat your oil in a large flat frying pan over medium high heat; place your tempeh down flat and cook a few minutes per side. You’ll want a little char – but be careful not to burn.
6. While your tempeh is nearing the end of cooking – when you’ve achieved a nice color & char – pour remaining marinade and 1 TBS of water – lower heat to medium and cook until all the liquid has been absorbed.
#2 Prepare your Tofu
3 TBS Water
1 TBS Soy Sauce,
1 (heap) tsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp ketchup
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp canola oil
Pinch of cumin
Pinch (pink) salt & pepper
Canola Oil – for cooking Tofu
1. Whisk together all your marinade in a small bowl.
2. Slice your (drained) tofu through the flat middle horizontally. You should be left with two equally sized (large) pieces. From here you can cut into a desired shape or leave as it. (I used a circular cutter but mainly for aesthetic purposes)
3. Place Tofu in a shallow dish.
4. Cover your tofu in the the marinade; turning a few times (being careful not to break)
5. Allow your tofu to marinate for at least an hour (the longer the better) – be sure and turn intermittently.
6. Heat up a bit of oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat.
7. Cook your tofu a few minutes on each side until ‘browned’ and heated throughout.
8. Turn off heat; add your favorite vegan cheese to to the top of the tofu. Cover and remove from heat – this will help melt your cheese a bit.
#3 Put together your Vegan Breakfast Sandwich
1. Toast your English Muffin (or don’t – I ain’t hatin’)
2. Dress each side of your muffin with a bit of Vegenaise.
3. Add your cooked Tempeh (one or two slices – up to you!)
4. Add your tofu (and cheese) next.
5. Cover with the top of the muffin.
7. Nod your head.
And. That ladies and gentlemen is the Best Vegan Breakfast Sandwich Recipe Ever. Or pretty close to it. Or maybe not. Maybe you’re mean. Maybe I’m dancing as I type this – let a vegan LIVE! Anyways. Have a go and let me know what ya think! 🙂
All your creations always look so damned magical. I want one of those. When I first went vegan, there were no commercially available english muffins, so every once in a while I would make some from scratch… but I gave up on buying them. Then, just last month I happened upon some in the store and just happened to notice they were vegan. How exciting! Now I”m on a bit of a roll.
I remember those days Amey; Oh have times have changed! And for the better no less! Thank you for the kind words!
Your site… oh my goodness. I’ll trade you a Neapolitan meal for anything you want to make… whenever I might be in NY next…. or when you’re in London.
Sounds like a plan!