You see, we eat a lot of Tempeh at the Vegicano Test Kitchen and to say that we’ve grown fond of it would be an understatement. We cray about it. Like, laughing Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes Cray.
We love it. Do you love it? Wait don’t answer that, because, if you say NO, I might cry. Like, literal tears. And that means we probably can’t be friends. And, I want you as a friend. You seem like you’re cool.
Today’s recipe ain’t nothing but a rehash. Same Tempeh – just a slight variation on the toppings. And. Dasit. Think of it as Menu Item #2 in my all Tempeh Resturaunt.
So! Have at it
Tempeh Hating Enemy Dear Friend.
Perrito De Tempeh #2
1 8 oz package of Tempeh (poached as I do here)
4 Vegan Hot Dog Buns
Guacamole (My Recipe Here)
Easy Roasted Corn (My Recipe Follows)
Vegan Sour Cream – Optional
Vegenaise (to slather on your bun, under your tempeh)
Thinly sliced radish
2 TBS of Water
2 TBS of Agave Nectar
1 TBS Soy Sauce
1 (heap) tsp of Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp of ketchup
1 tsp canola oil
1/4 tsp liquid smoke (or a splash of apple cider vinegar)
pinch black pepper
First things first. Blanch your tempeh according to the directions found HERE
1. Cut (cooled) blanched Tempeh into four uniform horizontal (long pieces)
2. Whisk all of the Marinade ingredients in a bowl until thoroughly mixed.
3. Lay your your Tempeh in a long square dish (I use a glass loaf pan) and cover with marinade.
4. Allow to marinate in the fridge for (at least) 1 hour, turning halfway through – the longer you marinate the better – obviously.
5. Heat oil in a 12 inch frying on Medium High Heat.
6. Sear Tempeh for a couple of minutes a side (or until lightly charred).
7. Slowly drizzle marinade over seared Tempeh (be careful it could splash up) and and 1 TBS of water – Using tongs, move tempeh around in the braise (careful not to break them).
8. Lower heat to low.
9. Lightly Dress hot dog buns with Vegenaise, Add your tempeh and top with Roasted Corn, guacamole, tofu sour cream and radish.
Easy Roasted Corn (Topping)
1 Cup Fresh Corn Kernals (frozen – defrosted is fine)
1 TBS Canola Oil
1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
pinch black pepper
1 TBS Lemon Juice
Salt to taste
Preheat Oven to 450
1. In a small mixing bowl add all of your ingredients except for Lemon Juice.
2. Gently toss together (as not to crush corn) – Mix well.
3. On a greased cookie sheet or 8X8 pan, lay out your corn in a single layer.
4. Bake for 10 minutes – stopping to shake the pan intermittenly so that the corn kernals do not stick. (For more of a charr (I like char) keep roasting for another 5 minutes)
5. Remove from oven and slowly drizzle with lemon juice – mix well.
6. Salt to taste.