Let me say this before I go into some verbose superfluous tizzy about whatever it is that will subsequently follow this sentence: You should be making your own corn tortillas. Like, all the time. Like, anytime you’re consuming a meal that you’ve prepared that requires a tortilla – you should be making it from scratch.
I understand it sounds crazy – especially in this made-for-you-already-packaged world that we live in. But I can assure you – I am of sound mind. You can also rest assured that what I am about to say is so true that it should be preceded by the words: Ain’t that right boo.
Corn tortillas are easy to make.
Of all the bread-vessels in the world, it might rank up there as the easiest to both execute and master. It literally has three ingredients people!
And while it might take some finesse to produce a perfect circular taste-disc; it doesn’t have to be pretty it just has to taste good. Like Conway and Loretta Lynn said: Looks ain’t every thing.
Now before I move I on let me say this. Buy a tortilla press. Nothing fancy. It doesn’t even have to be the most expensive one at the restaurant supply store with a french name that you’ve been drooling over because it matches your hat. No. Buy a decently priced one (they exist – google it yourself homie!) and get to squishing.
Sure, you can essentially achieve the same outcome with a glassed-bottomed pie pan and a little pressure but don’t bother. Buy a tortilla press. It will change your life. Your friends and loved ones will think that you’ve went above and beyond just for them. That all those years of food network and cookbooks you’ve never read – actually paid off! Your girlfriend or boyfriend might actually volunteer to clean the kitchen you just destroyed. Everybody wins!
Obviously you aren’t grinding your own corn (not yet anyways) so the easiest way to achieve all your hopes and dreams make tortillas is to buy instant corn flour – NOT CORN MEAL! This can be found at most Latin grocery stores and/or the international section of your local supermarket.
Homemade Corn Tortillas
2 Cups Corn flour – Instant Corn Masa Flour
1 Cup Cool Water + (up to) 1/4 cup water – See Note Below
1/4 (heaping) tsp of salt
1. Measure out your flour and salt into a medium sized bowl.
2. Whisk to break up any clumps and incorporate the salt.
3. Add your water and mix together with a rubber spatula.
4. Knead together with your hands until a stiff dough forms
5. Cover it with a wet kitchen towel and let rest.
5.5 – Start cooking your meal while the dough rests.
9. Press down on tortilla press and flatten out your dough. Pull away from the plastic wrap. (At this point if it breaks apart your dough is too try you may need to add a splash of water and re-knead a bit)
10. Place on heated pan. Heat for one minute (or until the edge of the tortilla seems dry)
11. Flip tortilla over and heat for 30 seconds.
13. Repeat with remaining dough.So. Yeah. Other than getting the dough to right consistency. Which doesn’t take much of your time at all. This is super easy.
And you should be doing it like all the time. Make em from scratch!