Now, believe you me, I’ve partaken in way too many in my vegan life to count. It’s usually the only Vegan Mexican menu option – y’know, when one finds themselves far from the comforts of vegan-ville – it’s either thattttttttt or something like oily sauteed vegetables in a tortilla. (No Gracias!)
But the idea of coming up with my own version intrigues me. How could I, seeker of vegan Mexican food thangs create something that wasn’t boring. That would entice me. That would enliven me. That would, for all intents and purposes –make me hungry.
That would make me the most powerful man in the universe!!!
It breaks down like this. I bake cooked black beans in the oven, thus, removing most of the moisture and creating a gratifying (less mushy) texture. From there I sauteed up some diced peppers and onions, added the baked black beans to the mixture and stew it a bit with salsa verde, vegetable broth and spices. What you’re left with a black bean mixture that is tender but also has a little bite. You pair that with some cabbage slaw and my recipe for Green Pea Crema and you’re good to go!
Smashed Black Bean Tacos | Tacos De Frijol Negra Aplastado
3 Cups (Cooked) Black Beans
1 TBS Canola Oil
1/2 Cup Diced Red Peppers
1/2 Medium Diced Red Onion
1 Cup Salsa Verde (My Recipe Here – store bought is fine just go with something you enjoy)
1/2 cup (preferably low sodium) vegetable broth
1 heap TBS Nutritional Yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp soy sauce
Salt to taste
Simple Cabbage Slaw (Recipe Follows)
Green Pea Crema (Recipe Follows)
Sliced Radishes (optional)
Corn tortillas (My Recipe Here or store-bought, just double up!)
1. Preheat Your Oven to 400 degrees
2. Rinse Black Beans well in a colander – Pat dry with paper towel or clean towel.
3. Lay your black beans out; single layer in a baking pan (I use a square 8X8)
4. Bake your black beans for 20 minutes total – shaking; moving them around a couple times in between.
5. Meanwhile, heat 1 TBS Canola oil in large (Rimmed) Saute Pan over medium heat; cook until tender (about 5 minutes).
6. Add in your baked black beans, stir to incorporate.
7. Add your Salsa Verde, Broth and the rest of your spices.
8. Lower heat to low; stir well to incorporate all of the ingredients.
9. Cook until most of the liquid has cooked off. (Stirring intermittently)
10. Salt and pepper to taste.
Simple Purple Slaw
2 Cups Shredded Purple Cabbage
1 TBS Fresh Lime Juice
1 tsp nutritional yeast
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. In a medium bowl add your cabbage, cover in lemon juice, and nutritional yeast.
2. Using a spoon or fork lightly toss all of the ingredients to incorporate evenly.
3. Salt & Pepper to taste.
Green Pea Crema
1 (Heap) Cup Cooked Sweet Green Peas
1/4 Cup Vegetable Broth
2 tsp Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp lemon
Pinch garlic powder
Salt to taste.
2 TBS a Vegenaise (or 2 TBS more broth + tsp mild olive oil)
1. Add all ingredients (except vegenaise) into a blender and blend thoroughly.
2. Add your Vegenaise and blend to emulsify.
3. Allow to cool in fridge.
How to build your taco: In a warm tortilla, add a few tablespoons of filling (or more), follow that with your cabbage slaw and sliced radishes, from there drizzle on your green pea crema. Y Buen Provecho!