There’s been a lot of happenings at the Vegicano Test Kitchen – most notably – that we’re evaluating just how we want to frame the coming year. We’re always cooking, which means we’re always testing things out – lots of recipe testing can only mean: there’s new and exciting recipes to come!
Until that time, please enjoy this recipe for something not-so-Mexican. We’re gonna go ahead and file this under the “Y Mas” category. I mean sure, there’s elements of Mexico in this dish but I’m not sure where it falls into the grand scheme of – y’know – what we’re trying to accomplish here at Vegicano. Point is, we do our thang even when we’re not doing our thang – know what I’m sayin? Yuh!Break It Down For Me Fellas: This is a savory and sweet tempeh paired with (quick-braised) Chipotle Mushrooms, topped with Guacamole and Vegan Sour Cream. Yeah, it’s that kind of party. And you know damn well Vegenaise was invited. Cheow!
Perrito De Tempeh Braseado; Seared Temeph (Dog)
1 8 oz package of Tempeh (poached as I do here)
4 Vegan Hot Dog Buns
Guacamole (My Recipe Here)
Quick Braised Chipotle Mushrooms (My Recipe Follows)
Vegan Sour Cream
Vegenaise (to slather on your bun, under your tempeh)
2 TBS of Water
2 TBS of Agave Nectar
1 TBS Soy Sauce
1 (heap) tsp of Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp of ketchup
1 tsp canola oil
1/4 tsp liquid smoke (or a splash of apple cider vinegar)
pinch black pepper
First things first. Blanch your tempeh according to the directions found HERE
1. Cut (cooled) blanched Tempeh into four uniform horizontal (long pieces)2. Whisk all of the Marinade ingredients in a bowl until thoroughly mixed.
3. Lay your your Tempeh in a long square dish (I use a glass loaf pan) and cover with marinade.
4. Allow to marinate in the fridge for (at least) 1 hour, turning halfway through – the longer you marinate the better – obviously.
5. Heat oil in a 12 inch frying on Medium High Heat.
6. Sear Tempeh for a couple of minutes a side (or until lightly charred).
7. Slowly drizzle marinade over seared Tempeh (be careful it could splash up) and using tongs, move tempeh around in the braise (careful not to break them).
8. Lower heat to low.
9. Lightly Dress hot dog buns with Vegenaise, Add your tempeh and top with mushrooms, avocado and tofu sour cream.
(Quick) Braised Chipotle Mushrooms
1 lb of Cremini Mushrooms (trimmed and quartered)
2 tsp Canola Oil
Quick Chipotle Braise
1/4 Cup Vegetable Broth (water is fine – just adjust salt levels)
1 TBS Ketchup
1 TBS Chipotle Sauce (from can of Chipotles)
1 Chipotle minced (seed them if you want a tamer heat)
1 (heap) tsp Nutritional Yeast
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp garlic powder
pinch onion powder
pinch black pepper
Splash an of apple cider vinegar (optional)
1 TBS Vegan Butter (to be used at the end NOT in the marinade)
1. Heat oil over high heat in a large frying pan, wok or stock pot.
2. Add your mushrooms; stir and move around mushrooms to cover with oil
3. Cook for 5 minutes (they will release a lot of their water); Stir occasionally.
4. Lower heat to medium-high and cook until all of the liquid has been released (about 5 – 8 minutes)
5. When all the liquid has been released add your braising liquid, stir well to incorporate and lower heat to medium.
6. Cook until the braising has thickened a bit and most of the liquid has cooked off.
7. Add your Vegan Butter and stir to incorporate.
8. Salt to taste.