It’s hard to make friends. But, it’s not hard to make Tacos. That should tell you everything you need to know about me in one fell swoop!
Today’s recipe is something I make quite a bit (but have yet to post on the blog) so why not today? (It is Tuesday after all). It features two of my favorite (and frankly, most versatile) ingredients: Mushrooms and Chickpeas!
Tacos De Hongo y Garbanzo / Mushroom & Chickpea
1 1/2 Cup cooked Chickpeas (or 1 Can – drained & rinsed)
1 lb Cremini Mushrooms – quartered
1 TBS Canola Oil
1 TBS Soy Sauce
1 TBS Water
1 tsp Nutritional Yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 Cup Water
2 TBS Soy Sauce
2 TBS Nutritional Yeast
2 TBS Fresh Lime Juice
1 TBS Tomato Paste (or Ketchup)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried (crushed) Mexican Oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
A few dashes of your favorite hot sauce
Salt to taste
Corn Tortilla (Homemade or Store-bought)
Simple Slaw (Recipe Follows)
Easy Adobo Crema (Recipe Follows)
Easy Roasted Salsa (Recipe Here)
1. Clean and trim your mushrooms; cut them into quarters.
2. In a large wok or stock pot heat 1 TBS of Canola oil over medium high heat.
3. Add your mushrooms and cook until they release all their moisture. (6 – 8 minutes).
4. Meanwhile whisk together your Braising Liquid.
5. Add your soy sauce, water, nutritional yeast and garlic powder to cooking mushrooms and stir well to incorporate within the mushrooms.
6. Cook (while stirring) Mushrooms until all the liquid has been evaporated.
7. Stir in your (cooked) chickpeas and saute for 2 minutes
8. Add your braising liquid and reduce heat to low.
9. Cook for 8 – 10 minutes over low heat or until the liquid has been cooked out.
10. Salt to taste.
Serve on warm (charred) tortillas with slaw, Avocado, Adobo Crema, and salsa.
Easy Adobo Crema
1/2 Cup Vegan Sour Cream
2 TBS Vegenaise
1 – 2 TBS of Adobo (From a Can of Chipotles)
1 tsp lime juice
Pinch of nutritional yeast
Unflavored Almond Milk (to thin – optional)
Salt to taste
1. (Hard) Whisk all of your ingredients (Except Almond Milk & Salt) in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Whisk in Almond Milk to desired thickness/thinness – optional.
3. Salt to taste.
Simple Cabbage Slaw
2 Cups Shredded Purple Cabbage
1 TBS Fresh Lime Juice
1 TBS Vegenaise
1 tsp nutritional yeast
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. In a medium bowl add your cabbage, cover in lemon juice, vegenaise and nutritional yeast.
2. Using a spoon or fork lightly toss all of the ingredients to incorporate evenly.
3. Salt & Pepper to taste.
I’ll be your friend!… and not just because I secretly hope you will make me tacos…
I’ll be your friend AND make you tacos! 🙂